News: Looking for females who are in the pure female lines (mother to daughter) from William and Sarah who are willing to do an mtDNA test. Such a person would be descended along an all female line from Mary DEVIN Biggers or Margaret DEVIN Reynolds. The hope is to identify the markers for Sarah SMITH Devin to help identify her parents. Contact the webmaster if interested.

Devin descendant, Stanley Wayne Devin, passed away at 1:30 a.m. on Dec. 4, 2014. He was the last living child of Ira & Oleta Devin.
   Last Name:   First Name:
What's New
Most Wanted

Hugh Reynolds

Hugh Reynolds[1, 2, 3]

Male Abt 1740 - Abt 1810

Personal Information    |    Media    |    Sources    |    All    |    PDF

  • Born  Abt 1740  Prob. Pennsylvania Find all individuals with events at this location  [3
    Gender  Male 
    Died  Abt 1810  Pittsylvania County, Virginia Find all individuals with events at this location  [3
    • 3 Aug 1771 Va Patent Bk. 40 p. 551, Pittsylvania Co., Hugh Reynolds received patent for 298 acres on waters of Banister River adjoining land of Nealy & Roberts (Doc. 1140)

    • See Pittsylvania County, VA Landowners Per 1797 Land Tax: Transcribed by Mary Leigh Boisseau: Lists Hugh Reynolds as owing 2 parcels of land; the first, 105 acres and the second 65 acres. Also Lists Jesse Reynolds (s/o William) as owning 4 parcels of land 104 acres and 3 parcels of 50 acres each. Hugh Reynolds, father of Joseph and William, and husband of Mary Nealey Reynolds, is shown on the land tax records for Pittsylvania Co., VA until 1910. Jesse Reynolds, s/o a William Reynolds bought the land his father, William left to his brothers, Joseph and Richard Cole, in 50 acre parcels in 1794 after the death of this William in 1791.
      This Jesse is the son of a William Reynolds who died in 1791, leaving a will naming his children. It is currently speculated by descendants of Jesse, that William Reynolds is Hugh's brother and a second William is a son of Hugh. Further research is being conducted.

      Hugh Reynolds Notes
      Pattersons of Muddy Run
      William Reynolds/Muddy Run (probably to late to be ours)
      John Reynolds/Franklin Co., PA (became Lancaster?)
      John Reynolds;Robert Reynolds (probably to late to be ours)
      PA Land Warrant Applications/Hugh Reynolds
      John Reynolds/William Reynolds Franklin Co., PA Deaths by Indian Attack; The Stories
      Robert Reynolds/Joseph Reynolds PA, Northumberland History
      Reynolds memorial; addresses delivered before the Historical society of Pennsylvania upon the occasion of the presentation of a portrait of Maj.-Gen. John F. Reynolds, March 8, 1880 (1880)
      West Nottingham Real Estate to be sold 6/1/1774 land adjacent to Jacob, Joseph and William Reynolds
      Tax List, Martic, PA 1757 Hugh, William Reynolds; Wm. Neeley, William Divin
      (same as above)
      The following message may be a Reynolds line from Lancaster Co., Pennsylvania where William Reynolds married Mt. (Margaret or Martha Patterson, 2 Jan 1754)
      DATE: TUE May 25 1999 9:15 AM
      NAME: James L. Lowary
      ADDRESS: 9071 Hartley Rd., Hallsville, MO 65255
      QUERY: My line to the REYNOLDS line is thru Sarah Ann REYNOLDS b. 10 Sep 1830, old battleground-Monmouth County, NJ. She married Edward Tinsley NEWMAN on 14 Sep 1848 in Hendericks, Co., Indiana. They moved to Hancock Co., IL.

      Her father and mother were Joseph REYNOLDS b. 1 Apr 1792, New Jersey, m. Nancie Ann CHAPMAN. Joseph died 12 Sep 1867, Pittsboro, Indiana.

      Joseph's father was John Fulton REYNOLDS was born on 13 Oct 1734 and was married to Joanna PATTERSON in 1760. John was a Private in the Revolutionary War under General George Washington. He fought side by side in the Battle of Monmouth, with James Johnson the father of his daughter-in-law Sarah Johnson Reynolds. Buried at Muddy Run Presbyterian
      John Fulton REYNOLDS, b. 13 Oct 1734. m. Joanna PATTERSON in 1760 d. 1827
      Rev. Cuthbertson 1751-1791 Diary
      Shows Hew Reynolds married to Mary K(?) Muddy Run, Martic, PA; another entry shows Baptism of Joseph, s/o Hugh

      Thomas Patterson Sr., mentions Joseph Reynolds of Fayette Co., PA 1785 (a clue?)
      The Hugh Reynolds in this line is a 37 marker, DNA match to Hugh Reynolds of Pittsylvania Co., Virginia
      Nat'l #: 818205 Ancestor #: A201059
      1. -- Generation Restricted --
      2. -- Generation Restricted --
      3. -- Generation Restricted --
      4. The Said -- Name Restricted -- was the child of Richie Campbell Reynolds born on 21 - Jun - 1863 at Warren Co IL
      died at Carrollton Greene Co IL on 10 - Nov - 1933 and his wife Eva Elizabeth Pinkerton born on 6 - May - 1860 at Berdan Greene Co IL died at Berdan Greene Co IL on 22 - May - 1946 married on 2 - Jan - 1887 married at Berdan Greene Co IL
      5. The Said Richie Campbell Reynolds was the child of John Wilson Reynolds born on 17 - Aug - 1818 at Statesville Iredell Co NC died at Spring Grove Twp Warren Co IL on 7 - Aug - 1909 and his ( 1st ) wife Jane Campbell born on 6 - Jun - 1826 at Carroll Co OH died at Warren Co IL on 28 - Nov - 1896 married on 1 - Sep - 1846 married at Hale Twp Warren Co IL
      6. The Said John Wilson Reynolds was the child of John G Reynolds born on (c) - - 1785 at ____ died at Warren Co IL on 17 - Oct - 1862 and his ( 1st ) wife Jane Milligan born on - - at ____died at Iredell Co NC on (a) - - 1820 married on - -
      7. The Said John G Reynolds was the child of Hugh Reynolds born on (c) - - 1755 at ____ died at Iredell Co NC on (a) 16 - Jun - 1832 and his ( 1st ) wife Elizabeth born on - - at _____ died at NC on (p) 22 - Mar - 1798 married on (a) - - 1782
    Person ID  I4008  Devin Timber | Mary Eggleston Pedigree
    Last Modified  29 Sep 2017 

    Family  Mary Nealey,   b. Abt 1730,   d. Aft 1788, Marlowe homeplace, Callands, Pittsylvania, Virginia U.S.A. Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Married  30 Dec 1756  Muddy Run, Martic, Lancaster Co., Pennsylvania Find all individuals with events at this location 
    • Mary married Hugh Reynolds at Wm. Neiley's, 30 Dec 1756 by Rev. John Cuthbertson at Muddy Run Meeting House. He later records the Baptism of son, Joseph on 15 Aug 1759.

      Hugh Reynolds bought land in 1768 from and adjacent to William Nealey. And William Nealey's will dated 6 Dec 1787, leaves his estate to his daughter Mary Reynolds and his two grandsons Joseph & William Reynolds. The will was proved: 21 Jul 1788 and Security: Hugh Reynolds.

      Nealey is found spelled several ways: Nealy, Neely, Nely, etc.
    >1. Joseph Reynolds,   b. 1759, Muddy Run, Martic, Lancaster Co., Pennsylvania Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. Abt 1840, Pittsylvania County, Virginia U.S.A. Find all individuals with events at this location
     2. William Reynolds,   b. c 1760, Probably Lancaster Co., Pennsylvania Find all individuals with events at this location
    Last Modified  6 Jan 2013 
    Family ID  F1485  Group Sheet

  • Documents
    NSDAR Certificate
    NSDAR Certificate
    Hugh Reynolds of Pittsylvania Virginia

  • Sources 
    1. [S67727] Mary Frances Reynolds Eggleston.
      Hugh Reynolds is found in Martic, Lancaster Co., Pennsylvania listed on the taxables list for 1757, along with Wm. Neely, and Wm. Devin and a William Reynolds. He is next found in 1768 in Pittsylvania Co., Virginia buying land adjoining Robert Devin.
      Marriage and Baptism Records of Rev. John Cuthberson show marriage of Hew Reynolds to Mary K. at Wm. Neelys; and later baptism of Joseph s/o Hew Reynolds. These entries are referenced by trips Rev. Cuthberson made in the Muddy Run area, also known as Martic Township; Lancaster Co., Pennsylvania.
      Tax lists for 1757 for Martic show Hugh Reynolds;
      Township, Lancaster County, Pa
      "Churches of Today and Yesterday in Southern Lancaster County" by Fellowship of Solanco Churches, Raymond Dunlap, George Herbert, & Richard Yates , Sr. printed 1968

      This historic old Church is situated on the road from Rawlinsville to Holtwood in Martic Township. The story of its past is a mixture of tradition and the writings of various historians. The first is always interesting for almost without exception there were actual happenings upon which it is based, although the account sometimes suffers by repetition. Sometimes also the writers do not agree exactly as to names and dates, as we shall see later. By recording both accounts in such instances the reader may take his choice and the writer escape criticism. In Klein's History of Lancaster County Volume Two it is stated that the land on which the Church stands was patented in 1742 to David Jones, John Marshall and William Andrews, and a log house built the same year. It is further stated that difficulties with the Indians at the time of the French and Indian War caused many settlers to migrate to South Carolina. Tradition enters here with the statement that the Meeting House was burned by marauding Indians. This seems quite possible and very probable. This tradition would account for the fact that the second Meeting House, also of logs, was erected in 1760, at which time the first building should have been still in Rood repair, it being only eighteen years old. By this time also the Indian threat had subsided somewhat and the remnant of The Congregation felt justified in commencing again. This log structure stood until 1820, according to Klein, or 1818, according to Reverend Everit Boice in his paper entitled "History of this old Congregation" written May 12, 1900, when the church was replaced by a stone structure. Klein says it was built at the cost of one Henry Galen while the Reverend William Easton, pastor from 1827 to 1869, in his Memorial Sermon delivered in 1872, and also the Reverend Boice in his paper, give the credit to Mr. Gregory Farmer; let him who reads take his choice. The important fact is that it stood as a House of Worship until 1853. The Reverend Thomas Clarkson was the first to preach within its walls and is said to have been accustomed to refer to it as "Gregory's Monument." The fourth and present building, like the one which preceded it, was also of stone construction, and erected in 1853 during the pastorate of Pastor Easton, who preached the first sermon in it on Christmas day of that year from the text found in the second and third verses of the eighty-seventh Psalm.

      This building, when visited in 1966 by the Solanco Church History Committee, was found to be in need of considerable repair, with exception of the walls which appeared sound. The pulpit, pews and long Communion table and benches were removed and placed in the "Shrine" Church at Middle Octorara when it was restored in 1961.

      While the first recorded date is 1742, there were, without doubt, religious services held in the vicinity of Muddy Run for some time prior to that date at some settler's home or in a "Tent." These were most likely conducted by such Ministers as could be secured or who visited them in their travels from place to place. The Reverend John Cuthbertson, the first Covenanter Minister in America, records in his diary that he preached in the Muddy Run Meeting House on October 2, 1751, just two months after landing in America. It is not known exactly when this Congregation and the one at Octoraro were, with Oxford, combined in one pastorate, but we know that the Reverend Robert Annan, who died in 1819, preached here as well as at Octoraro. With the coming of the Reverend William Easton to this field, these Churches were definitely joined in one pastorate; others who occupied this pulpit following Mr. Easton were the Reverend David Anderson, the Reverend Everit S. Boice and others, of whose names we are not informed. With the union of the Associate and Associate Reformed Synods in 1858, this Church became a United Presbyterian Church of North America.

      The grave yard, at the rear of the Church, is well kept and contains burials dating from 1754. It appears that the log Meeting Houses were situated close to the early burials, judging from the appearance of the surroundings.
      Sarah Rannols d. 1750 is buried at Muddy Run Presbyterian Church Cemetery

    2. [S04249] Boisseau, Mary Leigh.

    3. [S04334] Virginia Cousins, Wood, Deborah Shelton, viewed 21.Feb.2003.